Would you buy a haunted home?
Most people probably would, according a survey released today by Campbell, Calif.-based Realtor.com.
“Things that go bump in the night won’t be a problem for most sellers as long as the price is right,” the real estate website says.
I always thought haunted houses would command a premium given the popularity of ghosts on reality TV shows, but most people surveyed actually expect a discount. In any case, most people don’t seem to have a problem with the idea of a ghost.
According to Realtor.com’s survey, 32% of people say they would buy a house perceived to be haunted and another 33% said maybe. Only 35% said no way.
The survey’s findings are below:
HAUNTED REAL ESTATE SURVEY – CONSUMER SURVEY
Conducted from October 1, 2012 to October 3, 2012
1,910 survey respondents
Would you ever consider purchasing a home if you found out someone had passed away in it (assuming the home is otherwise a good fit)?
- 41% – Yes, regardless of how the person passed away
- 41% – Yes, if the person passed away of natural causes
- 18% – No
Would you ever consider purchasing a home that was perceived to be “haunted?”
- 32% – Yes
- 33% – Maybe
- 35% – No (end of survey)
What rumored spooky happenings would NOT stop you from purchasing a home (assuming the home is otherwise a good fit) (Select all that apply)?
- 62% – Warm or cold spots
- 48% – Strange noises (footsteps, doors slamming)
- 44% – Objects being moved from where they were placed
- 45% – Flickering lights/appliances
- 43% – Strange sensations
- 41% – Ghost sightings
- 36% – Levitating objects
- 35% – Strange voices
- 24% – All of the above would stop me from purchasing a home
How much would a “haunted” home have to be discounted (from its market value) for you to decide to purchase it?
- 15% – 0% I would pay full market value of the home
- 12% – 1-10% less than market value
- 17% – 11-20% less than market value
- 18% – 21-30% less than market value
- 19% – 31-50% less than market value
- 17% – 51%+ less than market value
- 2% – I would pay more than market value for a “haunted” home
If you decided to purchase a “haunted” home, would you seek professional help to eliminate the spooky happenings associated with the home?
- 11% – Yes
- 62% – Maybe, I would need to see if they bothered me
- 27% – No