Al: You’re basically the only columnist that returns an acknowledgment to my emails and I thank you knowing that they are not falling into a black hole.
A thought that has occurred to me over the last several news cycles is with the appointment of Jeff Immelt to council of economic advisors and selling of Boeing aircraft to China that will supposedly create thousands of jobs, I wonder if corporate America has basically written off the American worker/consumer for the Chinese and Indian consumer?
The logic is as follows:
1) Jeff Immelt has followed in the footsteps of his predecessor, Jack Welch, and exported hundreds of jobs overseas to do production under the GE label. Jack Welch took it further by single-handedly decimating the machine tooling industry in this country. That GE90 engine that hangs on the wing of that 737 you fly around in has parts made in Switzerland, Germany, France, Italy, Israel, Sweden, Romania, South Africa and China with very little made here other than final assembly.
2) Boeing has many airframe components already made in China. Boeing is laying off 1100 workers at its Long Beach, CA facility. Could they shift production there for aircraft components destined for China? So what is the gain?
3) Why is Congress attempting to repeal the Affordable Healthcare Act? I think the real cost of repeal is attached to this link: http://docs.house.gov/energycommerce/health_2011/CO5.Lamborn.pdf. This link is for CO5th but you can back into the cost for the rest of the country by congressional district. You may have to Google it.
4) Looked at a pair of Levi’s in Kohl’s department store last night and they were made in Kingdom of Lesotho, a small country surrounded by South Africa. There are 380 textile companies in violation of the minimum wage laws there and are on the verge of closure. The pants are priced at $34.00.
5) I’ll add in the quest to drive wages down, reduction of worker safety, elimination environmental laws and regulations, attempted reduction of SS & Medicare/Medicaid benefits, the USCoC financing campaigns ( I wonder whose side they are really on? Is sure isn’t the American worker/consumer.)
I sent this link to every council and county commissioner member in Colorado Springs and got two responses back—could not believe the cold and calloused responses. These two could care less about their constituents. FYI: All elected city and county officials are conservative Republicans.
These examples lead me to the conclusion that the American people have been written off.
Thanks for your time and putting up with me. Cheers.